About Me

My photo
Himalayas
I study, and try to practice, Vajrayana Buddhism. My main areas of interest are Chod, Kagyu and Nyingma traditions as well as Buddhisms interactions with the West, pop-culture and engaged Buddhism.

Monday, November 15, 2010

When the great and the good discuss the state of the Dharma in the West, there is at times mention of the massive lack of material support, for ordained persons, retreat centres, monasteries, printing of texts etc. Then there are the more personalised issues around the watering down of key points of Buddhist doctrine, such as karma, re-birth and assorted philosophical tenets. The latter of which have been the subject of Buddhist debate for millenia.

One thing which does seem to escape attention, even in the blogosphere, is that people get angry and are actually experiencing the kleshas. No matter how many times you've paid for the title Lama or met the Dalai Lama, you are still a human being experiencing all the same poisonous shit as everyone else. Being fluent in Sanskrit, having received Dzogchen teachings or tantrically fucking someone from Lithang doesn't change this.

True, you may have access to the most effective methods for dealing with these emotions, but it's not an overnight thing, and denying them and pretending they are not there isn't sincere.

This post isn't in any way related to being in Nepal, but rather a pre-lude to a satirical commentary on the Lojong I may or may not write.

1 comment:

Jeffrey Kotyk said...

I think one issue with dharma centers in the west are the politics and pettiness that seems rampant.

At the old dharma center I frequented the place was run by grouchy old women. One even had the bullocks to call me up one day and tell me what a horrible person I am -- sitting in the 'teacher's chair' in the tea room (by his own admission he didn't care about people sitting in it), having a 'disrespectful attitude' towards the guru (which he also denied and said he had no issues with me) and without permission posting a video from Losar on Youtube. They ordered me to take it down. Strangely, our guru said it was fine, but they had problems with it.

I've heard of similar issues elsewhere. At a dharma center you have gossip, anger, jealousy and a long list of other issues which foster kleshas rather than removing them.