About Me

My photo
Himalayas
I study, and try to practice, Vajrayana Buddhism. My main areas of interest are Chod, Kagyu and Nyingma traditions as well as Buddhisms interactions with the West, pop-culture and engaged Buddhism.

Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Great success


Yesterday I got my independent research project and Buddhist Rituals essays back, along with my oral exam. Did really well, particularly on the irp, which was on Ngondro practice, which had apparently increased my supervisors understanding or knowledge about it.

This is all good stuff right?

Sort of. I take criticism and outright attacks pretty well but not quite so when it comes to praise. Both "praise and blame" are only issues when grasped, solidified and given dualistic power.

On a personal level, I've found studying certain topics very helpful for my own so called practice. Intellectual understanding can iron out doubts arising from lack of understanding of the mechanics of certain aspects of practice and to a lesser extent increasing determination.

Whilst I feel really fortunate to have this opportunity, it really does pale into insignificance compared with meditational practice.

My final exam is on Friday. I've decided to take a week off before starting dissertation work.

No comments: